Saturday 24 April 2010

Question 3: What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?

From looking closely at many different distributors over a wide sale area, I have found that the main and most succesul distributors/producers and publishers in Great Britain are IPCMedia and emap, with IPC being the most popular out of the two.






IPC Media publishes and sells over 350 million copies each year. For example they distribute one of the leading indie/rock music magazine in the UK- NME.

= emap.


= IPC Media.


Although I aimed my music magazine at a small scale and unique target audience, I feel that without a mainstream distributor such as IPC or emap, my product would not sell enough copies to keep the production going, without big advertisements which these two companies would acompany for. Another way how I feel one of these two companies would be very benefitial for the success of my music magazine, would be that they have the experience and reputation of distributing their products in a wide area. For example: Distribution sales on the internet. This would be extremely benefitial to me and of course my target audience, because it would mean that the product is easier to get its hands on, and would also mean my business resulting into a multi platform consumption.


The only downside to using a company distribute my product in a wide area of ways, would be that it can be dangerous due to competition and the loss of target audience profile e.g my product seeming to be more mainstream. I feel that IPC Media would be suitable for distributing my product, because even though they distribute a simular music magazine to mine with a simular target audience (NME), i still feel that with succesful advertising, my product should hopefully be a success.
= IPC website. This will also give a lot of information about the history, present and future plans about my product to my target audience.
Having looked at many ways of distributing my product succesfully without effecting or damaging my profit too much, I feel that viral marketing would be the most beneficial to me and my target audience. As my audience is of a niche variety, it would be cheaper to just distribute my product in a independent record store. I found that by doing this, the turnover of my product would be far less, as my audience could be spread over the world and with only limited independent record shops still around today, the popularity of my product would be nowhere near as succefull, as if I set up an internet distibuter where my target audience can buy it from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment